ADOPTED BY CINDY & MIKE THROUGH KIM KONRADI

Thanks to member Lynn stepping up to the plate when we needed her and IDOG volunteer Pat H in Texas, we were able to help IDOG save this guy from a high kill shelter literally on the day of his scheduled euthanization! Kim then took hold of the reins and facilitated Corbin's fostering and eventual adoption by his foster family.

THANKS KIM AND LYNN!

MAX WITH HIS NEW FAMILY

CHECK OUT KIM"S DISCUSSION ABOUT MAX HERE
http://rescuecollective.ning.com/forum/topics/what-to-expect-when-y...

CORBIN'S/ MAX PETFINDER PHOTO

Reply by Lynn on March 20, 2009 at 12:33pm

He is just the cutest. Those pictures don't do him justice. And of course any I take now are only going to highlight all the grass he has in his fur from rolling around in my back yard. This guy gets my "Greatest Lump of the Year" award!
No lie, I have yet to find his "issue". He loves men, kids (ok, so he has only been around older kids. My daughter is 15). He is not a true black, there is a lot of white/grey, brown to his coat. He is just the nicest guy.
OH! And the vet says he thinks that he is about 14 months old, not 2 years.

FROM CINDY

Thank you so much for your email. all is going well and we have decided to keep him, although we have decided that Deuce is not the right name for him and have yet to settle on a new one. He is very easy going, still a bit timid, appears to be house trained and is starting to become a lot more comfortable with our family. I believe Mike said he already signed some papers... thanks so much for all your help!

cindy

FROM KIM KONRADI

I went to visit last night and he is happy, normal, and truly maybe the best behaved dog I have ever seen. A little low on the commands, but knows come-just a little hesitant to do it EVERY time. Right now he presents as a timid dog, not a rescue settling in. I think they are going to be surprised at the difference a few more days make. I tried to get him to jump up on me by encouraging him by patting my jeans, but he looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. I got down on the floor and he immediately came to me with tail wagging, but still respectfully, and came right into my lap for some loving. I looked at Cindy and said, “You SAID you wanted a lap dog!” I cracked up when I saw him because they were talking about him being a little bigger than they wanted. He is about a half to a third the size of Indy so he seems small to me. Most of his size is a bad haircut. He is cut closer in the front than the back, possibly because of matting, but that doesn’t make total sense to me. In other words, he looks like he’s a bit of a fat ass but it’s all hair. I gave them my vet, groomer, suggestions, etc, but they are fine... They are 100% in love with him and he loves them right back. I think they’re going to name him Max, but were still tossing a few names around.

When our doodle, Indy, made it into our lives, it was the perfect time. My oldest is 11 and she needed to grow up with a dog. It's only a few years before she's off to college so the clock was ticking. Santa brought Indy, and with him, incredible joy.

Seeing what an amazing dog he is, some dear friends with two adorable daughters decided that it was time for them to have a dog. But their children are a little younger than mine so a puppy was beyond what they wanted to sign up for. They definitely were set on having a doodle though and, say amen, they were dedicated to doing a rescue after finding out through me that there were doodles out there, just waiting.
So I got more involved in this rescue because I love this family and I love the heck out of doodles. I was convinced that the breed's temperament was a perfect match for this family (who I also love the heck out of!). Besides, they loved my dog so much, they were hooked.

After a few misses, there was Max. He was originally named Corbin because of being tied to the street sign at Corbin Way. Someone found him and turned him into a shelter. DRRC and IDOG swooped in, as they usually do, and got him out of the shelter. I wanted Max/Corbin/Deuce/Lucky (major name game) for them desperately. I just had this feeling deep down about it.

A situation arose where the foster had to get Max out of the house, so, since I live in the area, I was called about the possibility of fostering him for a few days until a more permanent place could be found. Ironically, I was out of town, but got my friends in touch with the second foster and they were allowed to "hang on to him" until I got back into town the next day.

Ha! That lucky dog has not stepped foot in my house. Granted, he was bigger than they wanted. And, of course, he was timid. When I called to check in on him, the biggest complaint was "he doesn't do anything. He just lies in the back yard and ignores us when we try to engage him. I am not sure he's the right one, but we'll keep him for you to pick up." I told them not to worry, I would be home soon.

As is usual, he found his comfort zone. He perked up. He acknowledged that these people weren't temporary; they weren't going to leave him. AND, he found "his person". Cindy was the toughest on thinking he wasn't "the one". However, Max charmed her like a snake in a basket. She would go to work on the computer. He would walk over to her and lie his head on her feet. She would sit on the floor to play with the girls. He would sneak up and lie down against her.

I called when I was almost back to town and said I was on my way to pick him up. Cindy had answered the phone and sheepishly asked if they could try him out for a few more days. She didn't want to go against protocol. What protocol??? This dog needed a home! But don't tell her that.

By the next day, Max was completely comfortable, licking faces, and most importantly, getting along with a just-turned-5 little girl who wears bows and smocked dresses but has the energy of a rugby team. Yes, the whole team.

I went straight to their house to see him before coming home to see my own family. He is still a little timid with new people, but when I say "little timid", that may be an overstatement. He was in my lap, licking my face within 3 minutes. Total score.
They are an incredibly happy, now-five-member family. Max jogs with Mike who runs marathons. He charms Cindy ridiculously. (I love it when people become dog people who didn't think they were.) And he is making two little girls so giggiliciously happy it is absolutely ridiculous.

Perfect match.

So what should you expect when you find the perfect home for a doodle? Words cannot describe. Bliss? Contentment? Warm and fuzzy? There has to be a word that sums it up. I know a lot of words (I am a word nerd), but the only word that I can really even attempt to describe this is actually two words: AHHHH! SUCCESS!!!

Reply by Jacquie Yorke & Blake on March 19, 2009 at 2:16pm

Whew!!....WE DID IT!....He's safe!!...NICE WORK EVERYONE!!...

Corbin was pulled by DRRC member Lynn this morning.....Lynn says the following: Corbin is called "Corbin" because he was left tied to a sign post on "Corbin Way" two blocks from the shelter......He's a medium sized doodle between 45-55 lbs. He's a light shedder.... He is QUITE stinky at the moment, but inspite of his stench Lynn describes him as sweet, calm and well behaved....

He is good on a leash but didn't know how to jump up into Lynn's SUV so she had to lift him......Lynn arrived at the shelter with a box of Dunkin Donuts for everyone there as a token of thanks...( lovely gesture) When they brought Corbin out to her he gently jumped up on her and licked her face as if to say "Thank you for saving me! "

He is at the moment calmly laying down in the back of Lynn's car and being attended to by her daughter who has already fallen in love with him and has renamed him Lucky because "Today is the luckiest day of his life.."...lol.. He is now on his way to the vet and then the groomer for a good bath and clean up....As of now, IDOG volunteer Pat H, is going to pick him up over the weekend for fostering....

Ah...One by one everyone!......Thank you all for pullling this together!..... Jacquie

Reply by Karen & Jack on March 19, 2009 at 4:57pm

From the bottom of my heart, I want to say thank you...to Shannon, who works miracles every day in between taking care of her husband, home, kids, and 4 doodles...to our member Lynn, who took the time & trouble to get this unknown doodle out of danger and into her home...and to you, who made all this happen by finding him in the first place. You are the angels among us.

Reply by Susan on March 19, 2009 at 10:42pm

I just finished reading all the comments and what an effort by everyone! J and Lynne, you both deseve a big doodle kiss for orchestrating this! He sounds like a wonderful dog, but my husband said Ft. Worth was too far for us to go. Is there any way to doodle train him out to AZ? Just a thought.....

Reply by Jeannine & Gamine on March 19, 2009 at 2:05pm

Thanks a million to everybody who got involved to save this nice boy.

Views: 20

Kudos to all! I was ready to jump on a plane myself. I am so glad that it worked out. What a week! Jacquie YOU are amazing. This shows how and what can happen when 2 rescue groups, shelters and regular people, miles apart, come together for a purpose and win! That is the reason The DRRC was started. Thank goodness for Long Distance Phone Plans.

RSS

Have a Comment or Question?

Oodlesofdoodles-rescue@yahoo.com

COME FOSTER WITH US CLICK FOR FOSTER APPLICATION

© 2024   - Created, January 19, 2009 by LM Fowler - Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Oodles of Doodles Rescue, Inc - 501(c)(3) Non-Profit

Oodle ~ Poodle ~ Doodle ~ Fuzzy Critter Rescue / Rehome

THIS is The Original Doodle Rescue Collective Website, since Jan. 2009

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~