Share news stories about PUPPY MILLS, here.

Views: 2436

Reply by Karen & Jack on December 9, 2008 at 2:05pm
http://www.wsbtv.com:80/news/18227737/detail.html

Another Missouri puppy mill bust, goldendoodles involved. This was emailed to me by Second Chance Animal Rescue, who rescued our girl Sophie. Most of these dogs are now in Atlanta.
Reply by Lynne NJ on December 9, 2008 at 4:45pm
Excellent news. Another one bites the dust! Hopefully those pretty babies will be home for the holidays.

Reply by Lynne NJ 15 hours ago
Reply by Karen & Jack on December 12, 2008 at 10:34am
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/50_dogs_rescued_from_...

Labradoodle Puppy Mill busted in Manitoba! Wonder if this is the DK member that Mike B has been posting warnings about!

Reply by Lynne NJ on December 12, 2008 at 12:18pm
Wow! In a way I hope it is the one Mike was talking about. It is too sad think there is another. But very good news that those poor animals are finally out of that hell hole. Another one bites the dust.
Reply by Lynne NJ on December 12, 2008 at 4:24pm
Such good news that these mills are finally being shut down and those poor dogs are out of there, but
Oh my god that's 150 dogs. What are they going to do? Can they take care of that many? Can they be transported to the US? Is Canada able to rehome that many? How can we help? Jac do you know any more from your connections at the ASPCA, DC? Let me know how I can help.
Reply by Teresa on December 12, 2008 at 4:25pm
Quebec is one of the worst areas in North America for Puppy Mills. As a Canadian, this absolutely disgusts me. The Province knows that it is a problem, there is wide spread publication of the issues, and yet the puppy mills continue to survive there in great numbers. I get so angry and sad at the same time, when I read stuff like this - anyone that could treat animals so horribly, in my opinion, has no respect for any life and would treat people with great unkindness also. There was just a big exposee on TV about Quebecs puppy mills - I watched it and cried my eyes out for the rest of the night at the horrors I saw. I wish we could take those people and....well, I think you know what I'm saying. At the very least, I wish we could make the laws that govern this.
Reply by Lynne NJ on December 12, 2008 at 4:36pm
I know what you mean Teresa. The Oprah Show did a big expose here and I cried my eyes out the same way. My Ginger came from a mill in PA and the whole time they were in a PA Mill, I kept thinking OMG that could be her mother or brothers and sisters. Those people that have no heart for such defenseless little creatures should be put into cages themselves and have to live like they make their puppies live. Laws really need to be changed. The PA govenor has gotten some laws passed because of the outcry. I think that's what we all need to do. Write letters to the editor of newspapers, to elected officials and anyone else who can do something about this. It's so sad. But at least those dogs are out of the hell they were living in.

Reply by Teresa on December 14, 2008 at 7:57am
So sad that death is a better place than the living hell they contend with. Although as a spiritual person, I do believe there is a place that brings peace, happiness and kindness to these gentle souls.
Woman buys 'Net names of puppy mill suspects

By JEFFREY SIMPSON Staff Reporter
Tue. Jan 20 - 1:33 PM

A Halifax woman has seized the Internet domain names of a Digby County couple facing animal cruelty charges to prevent people from buying their puppies.

Joan Sinden, who lives in Spryfield, last week bought http://gailbenoit.ca and http://danabailey.ca, which link to a site on her server with information about the activities of the husband-and-wife team with a controversial history of selling allegedly unhealthy dogs.
"I just want to educate people," Ms. Sinden, a self-described animal activist dedicated to stopping puppy mills and brokers, said in an interview Monday. "I thought someone should do it and I already had most of the information together already."

The Nova Scotia SPCA this month laid eight charges against Dana Bailey, 46, and his wife, Gail Ruth Benoit, 39, of Roxville for allegedly selling four dogs that died hours after their new owners received them last summer.

Mr. Bailey and Ms. Benoit each face four animal cruelty charges under the Criminal Code of Canada and four under the provincial Animal Cruelty Prevention Act. Autopsies showed the dogs died of parvovirus, a highly contagious canine illness often fatal in young dogs.

The couple are due in Digby provincial court on Jan. 29 on other charges stemming from the SPCA seizing several seriously ill puppies that were for sale.

Ms. Sinden said she hasn’t had any personal contact with Ms. Benoit and Mr. Bailey and doesn’t know anyone who has bought animals from them; she just wants to persuade the couple to earn a living another way.

"I have owned dogs that came from puppy mills and I have seen the effects of it," Ms. Sinden said. "I see the fact that their teeth are rotten and they have no hair and that they’ve had a really shitty life and I don’t think it’s right for animals to have to live like that.

"While they’re alive, they should have a certain quality of life, just like humans have a certain quality of life. I don’t think that animals are any different than us."

Her website links to information about parvovirus and news clips of the couple on YouTube, including a hip hop-style montage.

Mr. Bailey said he isn’t responsible for the deaths of any dogs and doesn’t plan to check out Ms. Sinden’s website.

"There are so many websites out there now, another one ain’t gonna hurt one bit," he said. "I’m not one bit concerned."

Mr. Bailey said he and Ms. Benoit, who declined to comment for this story, are still selling dogs and have no plans to stop.

"We’ve got proof of what the dogs died from but we’re not bringing it out until after the SPCA goes through with some more so-called charges — and then we’re going to show what the dogs died from," Mr. Bailey said.

"I have video of what the dogs died from."

David Tidswell, 21, of Halifax, said he recently found an ad of Ms. Benoit’s on the classified website kijiji.ca offering a purebred chihuahua for $300. He said he was selling his computer at the same time and struck a deal to make a trade.

They met at an Esso gas station parking lot in Bridgetown on Jan. 3 at about 10 p.m. After getting the dog home, Mr. Tidswell said, he did some research on the Internet and learned about Ms. Benoit’s alleged selling practices. A few days later, the dog became ill and died, he said.

( jsimpson@herald.ca)

Gail Benoit outside a Digby court in December 2007. (BRIAN MEDEL / Yarmouth Bureau / File)

Main Line Animal Rescue's newest billboard is now up on the PA Turnpike!
You may recognize our model!

Six months ago, Governor Rendell announced that the Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement planned to hire fourteen more people, including a state vet who would work exclusively with our state's kennel inspectors (dog wardens).

In spite of the Governor's good intentions, Special Secretary Jessie Smith has once again dropped the ball. A state vet has not been hired/named. There are sick and injured dogs in commercial breeding facilities across Pennsylvania and this position should have been filled a week after the Governor's press conference.

A hiring freeze should not apply to the Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement. The Bureau is sustained by the public purchasing dog licenses. They have over $15,000,000 in a reserved account (replenished every year - licenses are mandatory in the Commonwealth) so there is no excuse not to hire a vet or additional kennel inspectors. They are not affected by the economy.

We are urging Secretary Smith to do the right thing and hire the promised vet as soon as possible. She has had six months to do the right thing. Please contact Secretary of Agriculture Dennis Wolff and ask him (politely but firmly) to hire a state vet as soon as possible. dwolff@state.pa.us Please email the Governor's office and ask him to look into the matter as well erendell@state.pa.us If they tell you a vet was hired - ask them for his or her name and when they were hired. A lot of suffering has occurred in the past six months, there is/was no excuse for the delaying of this appointment.

Jessie Smith's email address is jlsmith@state.pa.us Ask her why she refuses to follow the Governor's instructions regarding the mill dogs of Pennsylvania.

Bill Smith
Main Line Animal Rescue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps!

Main Line Animal Rescue's newest billboard is now up on the PA Turnpike!

You may recognize our model!

Six months ago, Governor Rendell announced that the Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement planned to hire fourteen more people, including a state vet who would work exclusively with our state's kennel inspectors (dog wardens).

In spite of the Governor's good intentions, Special Secretary Jessie Smith has once again dropped the ball. A state vet has not been hired/named. There are sick and injured dogs in commercial breeding facilities across Pennsylvania and this position should have been filled a week after the Governor's press conference.

A hiring freeze should not apply to the Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement. The Bureau is sustained by the public purchasing dog licenses. They have over $15,000,000 in a reserved account (replenished every year - licenses are mandatory in the Commonwealth) so there is no excuse not to hire a vet or additional kennel inspectors. They are not affected by the economy.

We are urging Secretary Smith to do the right thing and hire the promised vet as soon as possible. She has had six months to do the right thing. Please contact Secretary of Agriculture Dennis Wolff and ask him (politely but firmly) to hire a state vet as soon as possible. dwolff@state.pa.us Please email the Governor's office and ask him to look into the matter as well erendell@state.pa.us If they tell you a vet was hired - ask them for his or her name and when they were hired. A lot of suffering has occurred in the past six months, there is/was no excuse for the delaying of this appointment.

Jessie Smith's email address is jlsmith@state.pa.us Ask her why she refuses to follow the Governor's instructions regarding the mill dogs of Pennsylvania.

Bill Smith
Main Line Animal Rescue

Officials return to seize dogs from kennels
By LAURA TODE
Of The Gazette Staff

BALLANTINE - The Yellowstone County Sheriff's Office executed a second search warrant at Shady Lane Kennels in Ballantine this morning and is in the process of seizing almost 300 dogs and other animals owned by Linda Kapsa.

Officials with the Sheriff's Office and the Humane Society suspect that the animals were not receiving proper care.

A veterinarian assisting in the seizure said he saw dogs without food, water or adequate shelter. A team of veterinarians is examining the dogs at a temporary clinic at MetraPark, where the dogs will be housed.

The first warrant was issued Dec. 11, and, after a four-hour search, officials took 10 dogs that they thought needed immediate veterinary care and discovered 13 dead dogs on the property. At that time, investigators took photos and video footage of the animals, which, after review by the county attorney, prompted the second warrant.

No formal charges have been filed, but, after examination of the animals, the Yellowstone County Attorney's Office could decide to charge Kapsa with animal cruelty.

Published on Tuesday, December 30, 2008.
Last modified on 12/30/2008

Dog-care operation gets into full swing
By LAURA TODE
Of The Gazette Staff

A cacophony of barking and howling started early Wednesday morning at MetraPark, where more than 150 dogs seized from Shady Lane Kennels are sheltered.

The dogs were taken from Linda Kapsa's property in Ballantine after a search warrant was executed Tuesday by the Yellowstone County Sheriff's Office. Kapsa kept more than 200 English shepherds as well as cats, horses and birds. Sheriff's investigators and officials with the Humane Society suspect that the animals were neglected, but no charges have been filed.

Kapsa has not responded to telephone messages left at her home.

The Sheriff's Office removed 189 live dogs and 11 dead dogs as well as 27 chickens and a cat. Plans are under way to seize a flock of cockatiels and three horses that were impossible to move Tuesday.

Three pregnant dogs, several sick dogs and numerous young puppies were taken to veterinary clinics, and more dogs may have to be treated after a second health evaluation was done Wednesday.

Rounding up and transporting the dogs took all day Tuesday. Volunteers had all the dogs fed, watered and bedded down in 48 sawdust-filled horse stalls at MetraPark by about 9 p.m.

"As soon as we let them out of the crates, they dove into their food bowls," said volunteer Rhonda Dillman, of the Yellowstone Valley Kennel Club. "Quite a few were food aggressive, which means they hadn't had much to eat."

Officials tackled a pile of legal paperwork, and a table at MetraPark was covered with dog mug shots, each marked with a letter from the area they were taken and an individual number. The photos will eventually be posted outside each stall to keep track of the dogs. To maintain a legal chain of custody, the dogs need to be individually identified and tracked. Each dog was given a microchip that can be scanned to access information by computer.

The dogs are entrenched in pack mentality, said Dave Pauli, Humane Society Northern Rockies regional director. To minimize conflict, the dogs are being kept in the same groups they were with when they lived at Shady Lane Kennels. Eventually, they will need to be separated by sex so they don't continue to breed indiscriminately, Pauli said. One of the stalls houses 27 chickens seized from Kapsa's property. The stall is about three times the size of the enclosure where they lived before, Pauli said.

The stalls run down both sides of two stables, which are surrounded by a temporary dog fence. A large pile of sawdust, provided by Rocky Mountain Compost, sits between the two stables. Another barn is being used for food storage.

The stables are not heated, but electricity is available in case supplemental heat is needed for puppies or weaker dogs, Pauli said.

"They're all outdoor dogs, and it would be detrimental to keep them inside because their fur is adapted to the cold," Pauli said.

A small crew of volunteers fed and watered the dogs Wednesday and changed their bedding. Much is left to be done, said Catherine Schaeffer, who has stepped in as manager for the temporary shelter.

Schaeffer is developing a schedule for volunteers, and small changes are being made to customize the stalls.

Veterinarians are concerned about the spread of parvovirus. The highly contagious disease is transferred through feces and is easily spread in close quarters. The virus can live on the ground for more than a year and can survive subzero temperatures.

Several dogs tested positive for the disease Tuesday, Schaeffer said. Symptoms include severe diarrhea, and more than 50 percent of the dogs had diarrhea when they arrived.

Parvovirus can be treated; vaccinations are available and need to be given in a four-shot series over four months to be effective. Volunteers will be briefed on how to take precautions not to spread the disease to dogs they may have at home.

Almost all of the dogs were malnourished and had parasites. When they were first examined, their fur was matted with mud and feces. When the dogs become more accustomed to people, they will be bathed and groomed, Schaeffer said.

Contact Laura Tode at ltode@billingsgazette.com or 657-1392.

Published on Thursday, January 01, 2009.
Last modified on 1/1/2009

Vet: Dogs were horribly neglected
By CLAIR JOHNSON
Of The Gazette Staff

A Billings veterinarian caring for some of the approximately 200 dogs and other animals seized this week from a Ballantine woman said the animals had been living in horrible conditions.

All vets see neglect cases, said Rob Bruner, of the Big Sky Pet Center, 7565 Entryway Drive, but "this magnitude ... I've never seen anything like this."

Bruner helped the Yellowstone County Sheriff's Office with the seizure Tuesday of animals from the property of Linda Kapsa, who owns Shady Lane Kennels. On Friday, the pet center had 47 of the English shepherds, while about 150 of the dogs are being housed in old MetraPark horse barns.

Animals responding well
Overall, the dogs at the pet center are responding well to antibiotics and are improving, Bruner said.

"Just getting proper nutrition and water and adequate shelter goes a long way in the health of these animals," he said.

But they have a ways to go.

On Friday morning, volunteers feeding the dogs at MetraPark found one dead in a stall. The cause of death wasn't known Friday.

Bruner visits the dogs at the fairgrounds once a day and transports dogs to and from the pet center as needed.

One of the dogs at the pet center is a female, identified as I-12, that had a litter of seven puppies about four weeks ago. Five of the puppies have red sores on their bellies that appear to be an infection that wasn't treated properly, Bruner said. He picked up each puppy to check on the sores as the mother watched warily.

"It's OK, ma," he assured her.

Road to recovery
Two other dogs at the pet center also have litters with some of the puppies showing similar sores, the vet said. The dogs are receiving oral antibiotics, and Bruner thinks they will recover.

Eight other dogs are about to have puppies.

"We're going to have so many puppies, it won't be funny," Bruner said.

The dogs seized this week have shown no signs of parvovirus, a highly contagious disease transmitted through feces. But five dogs out of a group taken Dec. 11, when the Sheriff's Office executed the first search warrant, had the virus, Bruner said. Two of those dogs died. None of the dogs has been euthanized.

On Dec. 11, law enforcement seized 10 dogs and two cats that they believed needed immediate veterinary care. They also found 13 dead dogs on the property. Investigators took photos and video. In the seizure Tuesday, 189 live and 11 dead dogs were removed along with 27 chickens, 10 cockatiels and a cat.

The investigation began in June after law enforcement received calls about the living conditions for the animals.

Bruner also has the cats and cockatiels taken from Kapsa's property. The birds are healthy enough, he said, but their living conditions were horrible.

Bruner and Catherine Schaeffer, who operates a cat sanctuary and was hired to manage the dogs at the fairgrounds, continue to assess the animals and organize their care.

Most of the dogs are scared and "rightfully so," Bruner said, as they're getting used to new smells, surroundings and people. Most of the dogs are not leash-trained, although all of the dogs seized Dec. 11 have since been trained, he said.

English shepherds are work dogs but are not as common in this area as border collies, Australian shepherds and blue heelers, Bruner said. English shepherds can be "very faithful companions," he said. "If it all pans out, they'd make great pets."

Also Friday, Schaeffer was setting up operations in a small trailer that the Sheriff's Office moved next to the stalls. There is a table, a telephone, a heater and boxes on the floor. Schaeffer said she has been overwhelmed by the numbers of people calling to volunteer to help care for the animals.

Fifteen volunteers are already working with the dogs. For now, Schaeffer is using people experienced with dog training to get the animals ready for assignment to volunteers with less experience.

Schaeffer, who operates Last Chance Cat Sanctuary and drives a truck with license plates KAT LDY, said she loves dogs, too. "Basically, I'm an animal person, period. I have a love for all animals," she said. Schaeffer has 105 cats at her cat sanctuary, which is a no-kill sanctuary for unwanted but adoptable cats.

And at least $100 has been donated for care of the dogs, and the Chase Hawks Memorial Roughstock Rodeo has pledged $250, Undersheriff Jay Bell said.

The investigation into possible charges against Kapsa is continuing, Bell said. He thought there may be a decision next week on whether to file charges.

The Sheriff's Office has been working with Dave Pauli, Northern Rockies regional director of the Humane Society, for help in getting coordinators and volunteers. Schaeffer was hired part time to manage the dogs based on recommendations from Pauli and the county's animal control workers.

For now, supplies are adequate. PetSmart has donated food and other items. The donations will be tapped for food as needed and for other expenses, Bell said.

While it is uncertain how long it will take to resolve the case, the dogs have a home at the fairgrounds for at least three months before other livestock is set to arrive. If the case runs longer, the Sheriff's Office may have to look for another location for the dogs.

The Sheriff's Office is not having to pay for use of the barns but probably will help pay for cleanup, Bell said.

"We do not have a budget for this at all," the undersheriff said. "We'll probably have to dip into contingency funds for this. I don't have a clue what we're going to be looking at when it's all said and done. We've never had an operation like this."

Published on Saturday, January 03, 2009.
Last modified on 1/3/2009

Felony charges filed against kennel operator
By GREG TUTTLE
Of The Gazette Staff

A Ballantine woman was charged in Yellowstone County District Court today with two counts of felony aggravated animal cruelty.

Prosecutors also charged Linda Kapsa with four misdemeanor counts related to the operation of her Shady Lane Kennels, where officials last month seized hundreds of dogs that authorities said had been neglected.

Kapsa is expected to be arraigned on the charges later this week. Aggravated animal cruelty caries a maximum penalty of two years in prison and a $2,500 fine.

The misdemeanors include two counts of having a dog at large and two counts of failing to provide rabies information.

Sheriff's deputies twice last month served search warrants at Kapsa's property on South 14th Road. In court records filed Monday, prosecutors said dead animals found throughout the property. The live dogs, chickens, cats horses and other animals were kept in unsanitary conditions and many were without food, water and shelter, court records state.

The animals were seized by Yellowstone County and are being housed on MetraPark grounds. The seizure, believed to be the largest of its kind in state history, included 189 dogs, 27 chickens, 10 cockatiels and one cat.

Published on Monday, January 12, 2009.
Last modified on 1/12/2009

Gazette Opinion: Only dog lovers can stop puppy mills
By The Gazette Staff

The bright eyes and fluffy white and black coats in the Internet photos looked nothing like those of the filthy, emaciated dogs Yellowstone County sheriff's deputies seized from a Ballantine kennel last month. The cute, chubby puppies on the Shady Lane Web page were a stark contrast to the sickly pups removed from that kennel to Billings animal hospitals.

However, those engaging Internet pictures were a means to keep Shady Lane Kennel in business. The Web page extolled the these "quite rare" English shepherds. The ad promised, "I can ship puppies by air to any place so getting a puppy to you is no problem and (sic) have shipped for many years." It went on to say that puppies could be reserved with a nonrefundable $200 deposit and instructed potential customers to call Linda K. Kapsa for more information.

Another Web site offering puppies for sale by Linda Kapsa listed eight English shepherds, ages 9 to 12 weeks, for $650 each, shipping included.

Kapsa was charged last week with two felony counts of animal cruelty and has pleaded not guilty. The court system must deal with her and with the nearly 200 dogs, cats and birds in county custody in what authorities say is the largest animal cruelty case ever prosecuted in Montana.

The Gazette has repeatedly informed readers how they can help care for these animals, most of which are English shepherds, by donating time or money. There's something more that concerned citizens must do: Be careful, responsible pet purchasers.

Kapsa is by no means the only person accused of running a puppy mill. The number of dogs involved in this case is higher than most, but poorly maintained facilities that breed dogs as often as possible with little attention to animal health are all too common.

Proliferation of puppy mills
On Dec. 11, the same day that Yellowstone County authorities served the first of two search warrants at Shady Lane, the Winnipeg Free Press in Manitoba, Canada, reported on 50 Labradoodles being seized from a breeder: "Dogs seized from a puppy mill in southwestern Manitoba were found living in their own feces, with urine burns and a serious intestinal disease."

The Humane Society of the United States estimates that more than 2 million puppy mill puppies are sold each year in the United States. Many are sold through pet stores, according to HSUS.

Dogs kept for breeding in puppy mills may be in continual confinement until they are destroyed or discarded once they can no longer produce puppies, HSUS says, adding that puppy mills contribute to pet overpopulation, resulting in millions of unwanted dogs being euthanized at shelters every year.

"One sign that you are speaking to an unscrupulous breeder is that they will not let you see the facility in which your puppy was born," the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals warns. "Always ask to see the breeding premises and to meet both parents (or at least the mother) of the puppy you want to take home."

Although the American Kennel Club has online breeders' ads, the AKC also recommends that buyers visit the breeder's home to see the whelping facilities and the puppy's parents before buying.

"The responsible breeder will be screening you (the customer), looking for the best home for each puppy," the AKC advises.

Adoption advocated
The HSUS and ASPCA advocate adopting pets from your local animal shelter or animal rescue organization.

In Billings last week, the city animal shelter had 22 adoptable dogs ranging in age from a few months to several years old in various sizes, breeds and mixes. During 2008, the shelter had 1,694 unwanted dogs and cats available for adoption, according to shelter manager Fred McCracken. But only 1,100 (65 percent) were adopted and 585 were euthanized. Adoptions saved lives.

Yellowstone County authorities shut down the first Shady Lane Web page after the first court-authorized search was conducted Dec. 11 and shut down the second site after the Dec. 30 search, County Attorney Dennis Paxinos said. The raids followed a complaint from a concerned shopper. A person who went to the Ballantine kennel to see about buying a puppy observed deplorable, inhumane conditions and reported that to authorities.

Without making such firsthand inspections, buyers won't really know what they're getting. Don't be one of the millions of Americans who unwittingly support puppies mills. Know exactly where and how the puppy was raised before making it part of your family.

Copyright © The Billings Gazette, a division of Lee Enterprises

15 seized dogs get warmer home
By SUSAN OLP
Of The Gazette Staff

Friday was moving day for eight of the adult dogs and seven of the puppies seized in December from the Shady Lane Kennels in Ballantine.

Two pregnant English shepherd females and seven 3- or 4-month-old puppies moved from the MetraPark barns into warmer quarters, at the former Moore Lane Veterinary Hospital building at 50 Moore Lane. Seven males moved to outside pens at the same location.

"We're just in the process of trying to move dogs around to make it (fewer) places to go to get to the dogs," said Carla Bracken, records supervisor for the Yellowstone County Sheriff's Office, who is coordinating the Moore Lane site.

Use of the building was donated to Yellowstone County by the Moore Lane clinic, which moved its practice into a new building next door in November.

The canine relocation got off to a rocky start Friday morning, when the dog movers discovered that low temperatures had caused a water pipe to burst in the clinic. Once the water was mopped up and the heat turned on, dogs were transported to their new temporary home.

By midafternoon, one of the two pregnant females, tucked comfortably in a large plastic crate, began to deliver a litter of puppies. Meanwhile, the seven older puppies were released into a large room where they could play together.

Another 33 dogs will likely be moved to the old Moore Lane today from the Billings Animal Shelter, Bracken said. The bulk of the animals taken from the Ballantine kennels - about 152 dogs and 11 chickens - remain in the MetraPark barns.

Twenty of the dogs were moved from the Big Sky Pet Center to the Billings Animal Shelter on Wednesday, with the rest remaining at the West End clinic. Moving those dogs from the Big Sky clinic helped alleviate crowding there, said Yellowstone County Undersheriff Jay Bell.

"When the vets initially evaluated the dogs, they felt about 50 needed to be in a warm environment," Bell said. "They've been out at Dr. (Rob) Bruner's Big Sky Pet Center and we also had some at the shelter. Dr. Bruner didn't have room for all of them."

On Friday afternoon, Bruner said two litters remained at his clinic, along with 10 cockatiels, three cats and one juvenile male dog. Some of those will be moved today, he said, but at least one litter and the young male dog that need the most medical care will remain under his care.

Linda Kapsa, owner of Shady Lane Kennels, was arraigned Wednesday in District Court. She pleaded not guilty to two felony counts of aggravated animal cruelty, two misdemeanor counts of having a dog at large and two misdemeanor counts of failing to provide rabies information.

Kapsa was allowed to remain free without bond until trial. A trial date will be set later.

The animals are considered evidence until the case is resolved and won't be offered for adoption.

Bracken gave a visitor a tour of the dogs' newest temporary lodgings on Friday.

"This is Lex," she said of one of the black-and-white English shepherd males, "and this is Lieutenant."

The dogs have been named by their volunteer handlers, Bracken said. More of the animals will likely be moved over to Moore Lane, she said, once it's determined how many dogs the facility can comfortably hold.

Volunteer handler Becky Hodges was distributing metal bowls of food to her charges. She has been working with a trio of dogs at MetraPark since Jan. 5, when she first offered her help.

"I definitely love dogs and it's been a joy for me," she said. "I've seen progress all along the way. It's been a beautiful thing."

At first, she said, the three dogs camped in one corner, reluctant to move toward her. As they became comfortable with her scent and her presence, they gradually ventured out and responded to her.

"They got braver and braver every day," she said.

On Friday, Lieutenant's tail was wagging as he walked to the front of his outdoor enclosure.

"They're happy," Hodges said. "They've got sunshine and fresh air."

Published on Saturday, January 17, 2009.
Last modified on 1/17/2009
Breaking News: ASPCA Leads Raid of Tennessee Puppy Mill

The ASPCA’s best and brightest are currently on the ground in Sparta, TN, managing operations of a puppy mill raid that began Wednesday morning, February 11. Our forensic cruelty investigation team, led by Dr. Melinda Merck, ASPCA Senior Director of Veterinary Forensics, is evaluating dogs and collecting evidence for the future criminal prosecution of the puppy mill’s owners. Members of the ASPCA Disaster Response team and several of our legislative professionals are also assisting at the site.

More than 285 small-breed dogs—including Boston and Jack Russell terriers, Pomeranians, shih tzus, Chihuahuas, poodles, miniature pinschers and schnauzers—were recovered from multiple buildings on the raided property. According to Dr. Merck, the dogs are suffering from a general lack of basic care, such as little to no food or water, feces-encrusted pens and lack of proper ventilation in enclosed areas. Conditions such as matting, sores, mange, poor teeth and abscesses are widespread. Dogs in critical condition were examined immediately on the scene and in the Mobile Animal CSI Unit, and those needing emergency care were transferred to local veterinarians who have volunteered their services.

Local officials became concerned about this particular puppy mill last September after a visitor to the property—someone who had intended to purchase a dog—alerted the White County Humane Society to the poor conditions of the animals. The White County Sheriff’s Department began a formal investigation, ultimately enlisting the ASPCA’s support for this week’s raid. Other parties assisting in the rescue include American Humane Association, Nashville Humane Association, several local veterinarians and PetSmart Charities, which provided the majority of sheltering supplies and an emergency relief vehicle.

Back in June, the ASPCA assisted in the raid of a puppy mill in Lyles, TN—the state’s largest raid to date. Thankfully, the Tennessee General Assembly is taking action to address the state’s puppy mill problem—last week, a consumer protection bill addressing large-scale commercial breeders was introduced in the Senate; introduction of a House companion bill is expected soon.

How can you help to ensure a safe future for dogs like these? When you donate today, you will help us in all of our life-saving efforts, including ones like the puppy mill raid in Tennessee.

From Wayne Pacelle's Blog (HSUS):

February 09, 2009

Weekend Blow in Puppy Mill Battle
You may have already read on our homepage of a raid and rescue of dogs at a puppy mill in North Carolina led by our Emergency Services unit, and documented by our investigations and video team. This raid resulted in the rescue of nearly 300 dogs, and I am sickened that the owner could be so heartless and allow the health conditions of these dogs to deteriorate so severely. Our team documented dogs in peril—with matted fur, urine burns, eye problems, embedded collars, untreated infections, gum disease, overgrown nails, and lots more, in addition to the never-ending confinement and absence of any loving human touch.

It’s the latest in a series of puppy mill raids The HSUS has conducted. And it’s more evidence of how the puppy mill industry is out of control in this nation. Current state and federal laws are not strong enough, and there are no breed registry organizations taking care of the problem. So, The HSUS continues to hit the mills, in tandem with local animal care groups, and we are rescuing thousands of dogs.

But if the rescues were the end game—as valuable as they are in delivering dogs from misery and squalor—that would not be enough. We are taking aim at pet stores that create the market for these mills. We’ve been trying to persuade Petland to stop purchasing dogs from puppy mills, and our investigations of Pets of Bel Air and other pet stores have helped spark a protest movement. Activists in Los Angeles, for example, have helped to shut down puppy sales from seven pet stores, with strong help from Last Chance for Animals and Best Friends Animal Society.

And we are also focused on strengthening the law. We expect 34 states to introduce legislation this year to crack down on puppy mills, and we’ll only get these bills passed if our supporters write and call and otherwise make their voices heard. At the federal level, we are working with U.S. Sen. Richard Durbin and Rep. Sam Farr on comprehensive legislation to address the problem since it is indeed a problem of national scope.

Fanatics in the commercial dog breeding world deny the problem. I urge them to see our video from North Carolina as well as our videos from prior investigations. Can they possibly think the current situation is acceptable?

Some may think the world is still flat, but we are not waiting for these deniers to face reality. We are getting on with our agenda, seeking to develop lasting solutions to the problem and to stop the suffering right now, too. We won’t relent until these mills are shut down, or dramatically overhauled. And we’ll use the full range of our capabilities to see that outcome achieved.

Posted by Wayne Pacelle on 09 February 2009 at 1:31 PM in Humane Society at Work
TN Puppy Mill Raid Update: Puppies Take Manhattan!

The hundreds of dogs liberated from a Tennessee puppy mill last Wednesday are ready to begin the next chapter of their lives. After spending a few days in a temporary shelter being evaluated and treated by the ASPCA’s cruelty investigation team, veterinarians and behaviorists, the dogs have now been transferred to multiple humane groups for continued care and eventual placement in new homes.

Although the criminal investigation into the breeding operation is ongoing and charges have not yet been filed, relocation of the dogs is possible because the puppy mill’s owner agreed to sign over custody to the White County Sheriff’s Department, which then turned them over to the ASPCA. Initially, 285 dogs were pulled from the property—however, several of them were pregnant. A shih tzu gave birth to six puppies the day after the raid, and three more babies were born on Saturday, bringing the new total to 294.

Earlier this week, 43 of the small-breed dogs—some puppies, some adults—made the 13-hour journey to ASPCA headquarters in New York City. Many will be able to be adopted right away, although some will be best served by a longer rehabilitative stay. “It’s doubtful any of these dogs has ever been walked on a leash, and many have never been outdoors,” says Jeff Eyre, ASPCA Director of Field Operations. Potential adopters are asked to keep in mind that these dogs have led abnormal lives, and that they will require extra patience to assimilate as household pets.

Special thanks are due to all the agencies and individuals who participated in this giant effort, from the volunteers and veterinarians who came from all corners of the South to the White County Sheriff’s Department and American Humane Association, an exemplary partner that assisted in everything from rescue to assessment.

Adoptions of the White County puppy mill dogs begin today at the ASPCA Adoption Center in Manhattan (424 E. 92nd Street). For more information, please call (21..., ext. 4145.
Truth about the Pet Trade
Missouri Puppy Mill Bust # 23
February 26, 2009 : 6:18 PM
Best Friends Onsite to Lend Support

By Cheri Moon, Best Friends Staff

Stabilize. That is the primary objective. Stabilize a situation that has tilted and careened out of control.

A team of six Best Friends Animal Society specialists is headed into the remote countryside in Ozark County located in South Central Missouri to “wrangle dogs, assess their conditions and help stabilize a chaotic and disastrous set of circumstances.”

On February 24, when Missouri officials appeared on the premise of River Valley Puppies Kennels to remove approximately 250 dogs, the owner of the facility set fire to his house, the kennel where the dogs are kept and began shooting at anyone who attempted to enter the house—including firefighters.

Unlicensed Breeding Facility with Substandard Conditions
The Missouri Department of Agriculture has been conducting an ongoing investigation of River Valley Puppies Kennels, located near Tecumseh, Missouri. The unlicensed, commercial breeding facility has a well documented history of keeping dogs in “inadequate conditions.”

Officials gave the kennel a deadline of January 31, 2008 to clean up its act, surrender 50 dogs, pay a licensing penalty fee and pass inspections. When the New Year rang in without the kennel owner’s compliance, the Department of Agriculture set the ball in motion to remove the dogs.

The Department of Agriculture’s Animal Care Facilities Act (ACFA) program worked with the Ozark County Sheriff’s Department to take possession of the dogs. District Veterinarian Larry Forgey with the Missouri Department of Agriculture was also on the scene.

Most of the dogs from the kennel are English Springer spaniels and German shorthaired pointers. The teams knew they would encounter substandard conditions and unhealthy animals. But nothing could have prepared them for a barrage of bullets and fire.

According to preliminary reports, some dogs received injuries from the fire in the form of charred feet and others were grazed by bullets. All dogs with illnesses or injuries were removed from the property and are receiving medical care. Currently, there are approximately 150 dogs running unchecked on the property.

A Calvary of Expertise
The Missouri Department of Agriculture has asked Best Friends Animal Society to evaluate the remaining dogs and help place them with rescue groups.

Joining Best Friends is Noah’s Wish, a California-based animal welfare organization dedicated exclusively to rescuing and sheltering animals in disasters. They will be setting up a temporary shelter on the kennel site.

Says Misti Preston, spokesperson for the Missouri Department of Agriculture, “Although the Department of Agriculture does everything we can to protect the health and safety of animals, we don’t have all of the resources needed to facilitate the rescue of large numbers of dogs,” Preston says. “We truly appreciate the efforts and rely on outside groups such as Best Friends and Noah’s Wish, who bring their experience and knowledge to the rescue effort.”

The action against River Valley Puppies Kennels is one of 23 enforcement actions taken by the State of Missouri since the beginning of the year, resulting in the rescue of more than 1,100 dogs.

Ongoing Updates
As this situation unfolds, Best friends will be providing notes from the field and updates on a daily basis. Says Rich Crook, Field Team Leader onsite in Missouri, “We don’t know what to expect—except dogs in need of help—and we can handle that.”

How You Can Help

• There is no call for volunteers or in kind donations at this time.

• Volunteers are not needed at the puppy mill site, but people interested in helping can make a donation for the care of the puppies by visiting puppymills.bestfriends.org.

• Download the guide, “Nine Things You Can Do to Help Stop Puppy Mills”.

• Join The Truth About the Pet Trade community to learn more about how you can help in your community.

CROSSPOSTED from Best Friends Network

RSS

Have a Comment or Question?

Oodlesofdoodles-rescue@yahoo.com

COME FOSTER WITH US CLICK FOR FOSTER APPLICATION

© 2024   - Created, January 19, 2009 by LM Fowler - Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Oodles of Doodles Rescue, Inc - 501(c)(3) Non-Profit

Oodle ~ Poodle ~ Doodle ~ Fuzzy Critter Rescue / Rehome

THIS is The Original Doodle Rescue Collective Website, since Jan. 2009

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~