THINK POODLES ARE TOO "FROO-FROO?" Is it a Poodle or a Doodle?

Think Poodles are too "froo froo"?

These dogs are STANDARD POODLES

This is an example of a breeder who actually cares about the health, welfare and lines of their dogs. All puppies are health tested and raised IN THE HOME. All puppies have at least a 10 GENERATION PEDIGREE.

Read what this breeder says about Doodle Breeding Programs

QUESTION: Why are we not breeding our Poodles to Labs or Golden Retrievers?

"As owners of Standard Poodles we at one time considered breeding Labradoodles. We had heard some pretty fantastic claims about the Labradoodles. Fortunately we found out the truth. Here are six common misconceptions:"

1. They don't shed and are allergy friendly.

Fact: Most Lab X Standard Poodles will shed (about 1 in every litter will not shed).Most will aggravate allergies. It takes multi-generational breeding to breeding that reduce the allergy. This means most Lab X Poodle will shed and aggravate allergies and asthma like any other dog may.

A note about shedding:
There is no way to know for sure if a cross-bred pup will not shed until it gets its adult coat (between 12-18 months old). Some pups appear not to shed until the adult coat comes in.

2. They are easier to train than a Lab.

Fact: Due to the crossing of two different breeds there can be absolutely no guarantee a cross-bred pup will inherit the easy to train Standard Poodle personality.
It could inherit the Lab train ability.... which is not a bad thing... Labs are not stupid! But it typically takes more repetitions to train a Lab.

3. Lower maintenance breed! I will not have to cut the non-shedding coat!

Fact: The non-shedding coat needs to be cut 3-4 times a year. (Same as a Poodle) Regular brushing is a must or the dog will get matts and matts can be a breeding ground for parasites! (same as a Poodle) As well all ear hair must be plucked so the ears won't get infected - (same as a Poodle.)

4. They are the latest fad! A new breed!

Fact: YES they are the latest fad! Unfortunately that means once they are no longer a fad there will be many homeless pups in animal shelters. This has already begun in the USA and Australia. Many of these new 'designer dogs' are available at a
discount prices at animal shelters. They are not a new breed yet! The Labradoodle (or Goldendoodle) will not be considered a new breed genetically speaking until breeding two Labradoodles together will produce off spring which all look and act similar to all Labradoodles. A breeding must produce the same type (phenotype) and only that type
generation after generation. This is also called breeding true or having a stabilized breed.

5. They are cute!

Fact: The curly haired Labradoodle looks as he does because his hair is cut into the 'Labradoodle' cut. (Anyone with a quality pair of clippers and a bit of time can learn to clip ANY curly dog into the same cut! This is not rocket science!) The thing to remember is ALL puppies are cute. No one can tell what a cross-breed will look like when it is an adult! Remember most of the dogs life will be spent as an adult. That cute puppy stage only lasts for a few MONTHS

6. They will be healthier because they are not inbred like purebred dogs.

Fact: Not all Pure-Bred dogs are inbred. Our Poodles are not inbred! Pure Bred Standard Poodles are statistically the healthiest and longest lived breed of dog.
There is a misconception that by breeding two different breeds together you will produce a healthier dog. Unfortunately this is not true. A Labradoodle can get the genetic problems common in BOTH breeds instead of just one.

One mis-informed Labradoodle breeder wrote:

"90% of all dog genetic health problems are recessive. This means that in order for a puppy to have the health problem, both parents must carry it. By breeding two dogs of different breeds, without similar health problems, we are breeding puppies with far less health problems! Crossbred dogs have far less health problems, (hybrid vigor)."

Using this theory the Lab should hot be bred to the Standard Poodle because they share most of the same health issues! Obviously this breeder did not do their genetic research.

The bottom line is both purebred and cross-bred dogs are susceptible to potential health problems. The best way to reduce the risk of health problems is to not inbreed, health test breeding stock and MOST importantly make sure your breeder does extensive 10 generation pedigree research."

Views: 1124

Reply to This

We have been saying these things for months now. I hope many others will read this too.
They are beautiful dogs....poodle or not!
What a handsome guy! Even with the big doodle nose! LOL
This is a really interesting discussion. My Tessa, when clipped short, is often mistaken for a poodle. She has a glorious black nose that's so big. When having a closer look, people think, ah Ok, that's a doodle something or other. Her fluffy tail and funny John Wayne swagger also give her away. She's a clown indeed! Some say aloof but I call it "carefree." My brother calls her Goliath... she often falls in the lake from tumbling over her huge poodley legs. I just adore her curly coat and lanky legs. She is so unique... in fact, most doodles I have met look so different from each other, it's so lovely to see that.

I am not totally sold on the "idea" around doodle breeding - hybrid vigor and the like, but I have to say they have won a special place in my heart. I can't help but recommending this breed to all ages! The personality, the fluff, the heart and the laughs they bring is just incredible.

My dear friend has 3 male, black, standard poodles and when they are left long for the winter they look like doodles! Only when they visit the groomer can you finally see they are pure poods. They are all so great, so loving and HUGE! haha. unfortunately, like others have said here, the haircut can make a dog... some people are put off by the so called "Froo froo" of the poodle cut but get to know one and they are just fabulous. Brains and personalities to boot!

Like any breed, the personality, the fur cut and the reputation are all in the eye of the beholder! I love my doodle Tessa and want everyone to know! :)

The picture is of Tessa a few weekends ago. Her fur is growing back after a poodle type groom, one of which I wasn't expecting. We've all been through that I know! Anyway, she's gorgeous and cooler!
Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Have a Comment or Question?

Oodlesofdoodles-rescue@yahoo.com

COME FOSTER WITH US CLICK FOR FOSTER APPLICATION

© 2024   - Created, January 19, 2009 by LM Fowler - Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Oodles of Doodles Rescue, Inc - 501(c)(3) Non-Profit

Oodle ~ Poodle ~ Doodle ~ Fuzzy Critter Rescue / Rehome

THIS is The Original Doodle Rescue Collective Website, since Jan. 2009

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~